Coal Mines

 

 

 

In 1964, the last mine of the region, the mines of Malécot in Chaudefonds sur Layon stopped its activitties. In St Aubin, the last mines of Rouleries and Bruandières stopped earlier, in 1914, at the beginnings of the war.

 

 

Coal was transported by the Layon but also by railways. A part of the procduction was used there to make lime.

 

 

Thanks tolime ovens and coal, people knew how to transform lime used to feed the soils, by stacking up one lay of coal and one lay of limestone. After combustion, the lime was usable.

 

 

Retour